Liam Flynn is a partner in the Financial Institutions Group. His practice focuses on advising financial institutions, especially banks and insurers, on strategically important matters both transactional and regulatory.
He re-joined Matheson after serving for eight years as Deputy General Counsel of the Bank for International Settlements (BIS), the global centre of financial regulatory reform. Prior to his BIS service he was a partner and Head of Corporate and Regulatory Insurance at Matheson between 2002 and 2010, where he maintained a wide-ranging practice leading the firm’s transactional representation of insurance-sector clients and was recognised as a leading practitioner by market directories.
From his BIS service, Liam has in-depth experience of the wide range of transactional, compliance and governance issues impacting internationally-active banks and financial institutions. He led a team of lawyers at the BIS supporting its banking business and advised on institutional, board and C-suite issues. He was active in strategic planning, legal risk management and identification, project execution, management of external counsel and preparation for significant corporate events. His time at the BIS was an important period for post-crisis regulatory reforms, encompassing the finalisation of the Basel-III package, the introduction of G-SIFI designations and the development of resolution and recovery planning.
At Matheson, Liam provides regulatory, governance and risk management advice, undertakes corporate and commercial transactional work and advises on internal and regulatory investigations. He is an officer of the Banking Law Committee of the International Bar Association, a mediator accredited by CEDR UK and a Member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators. He frequently speaks at global international financial services conferences.
Liam’s experience at Matheson includes advising on:
- M&A, joint ventures and restructurings for a wide range of financial institutions including Allied Irish Banks plc, Aviva plc, Swiss Re Group, General Electric, Banco Santander and Man GLG.
- Debt capital markets projects for clients including Credit Suisse AG, Munich Re Group and Swiss Re Group.
- Complex regulatory advice and product development for clients including Swiss Re Group, Aviva plc and Credit Suisse AG.
Liam’s experience at the BIS includes advising on:
- Corporate matters including the establishment of the Financial Stability Board (FSB) as a not-for-profit association under Swiss law and the conclusion of hosting agreements between the FSB and the BIS.
- Regulatory matters including monitoring, analytical and representational work on central clearing of derivatives, securities financing trade reporting, trade transparency and bank resolution issues.
- Lending arrangements, gold and securities market operations, derivatives, repos, asset management collective investment products and dedicated mandates.
- Significant litigation, including before the Swiss and US courts seeking attachment of assets held at the Bank for International Settlements and disclosure of confidential data (NML Capital Ltd v Republic of Argentina).
- Between 2010 and 2017 at the BIS, Liam received several citations for outstanding service awards.
- Between 2002 and 2010 at Matheson, Liam was a recommended individual in multiple market directories including Chambers Europe, European Legal 500 and Who’s Who Legal.
Bachelor of Civil Law (BCL), University College Dublin
Master of Laws (LLM), Cambridge University
Law Society of Ireland
Law Society of England and Wales